Ankle sprain requires adequate care. Many years of experience have shown that most patients do not perceive this problem in a serious way, but think that their problem is solved when the pain stops. However, this is a mistake that can later have far-reaching consequences, such as joint instability or other chronic changes in soft structures, algodystrophic syndrome (Sudek’s disease).
When does joint distortion (sprain) occur?
• It most often occurs during sports activities
• Walks on uneven ground
• Sudden changes in the direction of movement
• Landing on the ground
• A sudden fall where the wrist twists
Why do ankle sprains occur?
When the joint is in a position that does not correspond to its physiological position, and the tendons, ligaments and muscles fail to maintain the joint, i.e. to return it to the physiological position, the joint luxates (moves from its position), and when the foot contacts the ground, due to strong pressure, an injury occurs, i.e. ankle sprains.
Symptoms that the patient has:
• Limited movement
• Impaired or completely disabled movement
What the patient can do as a form of first aid:
• Ice the injured segment
• Leg elevation
• Bandaging, compression bandage, depending on what is nearby
• Moderate leaning, if possible it is best not to lean on the injured leg
An objective examination can determine:
• Determine by palpation the most intense place of pain, or several of them, depending on the degree of injury
• Is the skin cyanotic
• Is there inflammation
• Range of motion test
• Assessment of joint stability
• Is it necessary to send the patient for further diagnostics (ultrasound, x-ray, magnetic resonance)
• Orthopedic examination, or another specialist
Rehabilitation program of the Chiro-Physical Outpatient Clinic for ankle joint distortions (Distorzio articulatio talocruralis)
• Chiropractic, if indicated
• A gel that has a local cooling effect
• Manual non-invasive method
• Compression bandage, longette
• Tecar therapy
• Electrotherapy set
• Laser therapy
• Patient education for performing exercises at home
We are at your disposal for any additional information
Your CHIRO-PHYSICAL Mileševska 7, Vračar.